Cơm Đỏ (Vietnamese Tomato Rice)
Take your meals to a whole new level with Cơm Đỏ in just 4 STEPS! With only 5 ingredients, it's the quickest rice you'll ever make!
- 2 US cup Jasmine rice (cooked)
- 1/2 US cup tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp chicken bouillon powder (or to taste)
Heat up a wok to high heat and pour the oil in.
Turn the heat back to medium and brown the garlic for 20 seconds or until just fragrant, then add the tomato paste in to stir for another 20 seconds.
Turn the heat back up to high and add the cooked grains and chicken bouillon powder in, then stir everything until well combined. Keep cooking for another 5 minutes or until it has reached your desired dryness.
Serve immediately as is with your favorite side dishes!
- Use day-old rice. If this isn't available, cook the grains and let it sit in the freezer for an hour or two, mixing it every 30 minutes so the top doesn't get too dry.
- Keep the wok hot. You want to fry the dish, not steam or boil it. Keeping the heat high will ensure a crispiness that can't be achieved using a low or medium heat.
- Use good quality tomato paste. Since there are only a handful of ingredients in this recipe, you'll want to use the best version of every ingredient.
- My Mum sometimes uses pasta as a substitute for rice. Spiral, shell and penne work best in this Cơm Đỏ recipe.
- If you'd like a richer flavor, you can also swap the oil for butter. Just keep in mind that it burns much faster, so keep an eye on the heat.
- You can also add Maggi seasoning sauce for extra savoriness.
Calories: 91kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 399mg | Potassium: 8mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg