Braised Beef Honeycomb Tripe
Braised Beef Honeycomb Tripe is a favorite for a reason - it's cost effective and cooked in aromatics. Find all the tricks to clean tripe!
- 1 kg beef bones
- 1 tsp white peppercorns
- 3 US cup water
- 30 g / 0.07 lb ginger (lightly smashed)
- 3 sprig spring onions (tied into a knot)
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 daikon
Cleaning the Tripe
- 1 kg / 2 lb honeycomb tripe
- 20 tsp salt
- 1/4 US cup vinegar
- 20 g / 0.04 lb ginger
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
- hot water
The Braising Ingredients
- 3 cubes red fermented bean curd (plus 1 tbsp of its liquid)
- 2 tbsp chu hou paste
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 3 star anise
- 2 dried tangerine peels
- 3 slices ginger
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 sprig spring onion (tied into a knot)
- 2 1/2 US cup beef broth (made from beef broth ingredients)
The Beef Broth
Bring a pot of water to a boil and blanch the beef bones for 2 minutes, then wash and clean the bones.
Fill a fresh pot of 2 1/2 L (10 1/2 US cup) water on high heat and bring to a boil, then add the cleaned bones in along with the peppercorns, ginger, Shaoxing rice wine and spring onions.
Keep it on a gentle simmer with the lid partially on for 1 hour while skimming the floating scum every 15 minutes, then remove the bones and aromatics.
Peel the daikon's skin off, then peel off 2 layers from the surface. This will remove the bitter outer layer.
Cut them into 10cm (3.9") chunks.
Put the daikon into the broth on a medium heat to simmer for 5 minutes, then scoop them out and set aside for later.
Preparing The Tripe
Rub the 4 tsp salt all over the organ and rinse with hot water. Repeat this 5 times.
Use a knife to scrape against the surface to remove any scum, then rinse using hot water.
Pour the vinegar over the tripe and knead it into the organ to clean, then wash off.
Bring a pot of water to a boil with the Shaoxing rice wine and ginger and blanch the tripe for 15 minutes, then remove and drain to be used later.
Cut the tripe into 2 x 10cm (0.8" x 4") strips.
Smash the red fermented bean curd until it forms a paste, then combine it with the chu hou paste and peanut butter.
Heat up a wok on medium heat and pour the oil in until it gets hot. Turn the heat to high and brown the spring onion knot, garlic, ginger, dried tangerine peels and star anise for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Add the fermented bean curd mixture in and mix for 30 seconds.
Pour the tripe in and stir for 1 minute.
Add the beef broth in along with the rock sugar, sesame oil, Shaoxing rice wine, oyster sauce and dark soy sauce and bring it to a boil, then let it simmer on a medium heat for 20 minutes.
Bring the heat back up to high and add the radish to cook on a medium simmer for 20 minutes or until soft. Note: The longer you braise it, the thicker and richer the sauce becomes. Remove it from the heat when it has reached your desired consistency.
Serve hot as is!
- Let it cook for longer on low heat. To get a more tender bite, keep the heat low and keep it braising slowly for a longer period.
- Use more bones for the stock. The richer the flavor in the beef stock, the more it will come through in the braising.
- Clean the tripe until there is no more odor. Make sure to give it a sniff before you boil the organ. If you still smell a hint of the offal scent, wash it in more salt and vinegar.
- We used regular salt for our cleaning because it was readily available, but rock salt is another great option. The bigger crystals will be more effective for scraping impurities.
- Ask the butcher to cut the bones into smaller segments if notice it is still in one long piece. It needs to be able to fit in your pot!
- All of the dried ingredients and sauces can be found in Asian supermarkets. Dried ingredients are usually packaged in plastic packets while sauces are normally stored in jars.
Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 6417mg | Potassium: 163mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 90IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg