Pennywort Drink (Nước Rau Má)
The freshest Pennywort Drink is made with just 3 ingredients. It's SO easy to make at home - just blend, strain, sweeten and enjoy!
- 400 g / 0.88 lb pennywort (we get them from the Asian supermarket)
- 1 L / 4.22 US cup water (for the blending)
- 1/3 US cup sugar (or to taste)
- 1 US cup water (for the sugar syrup)
Wash the pennywort by adding 3 tbsp salt to a sink full of cool tap water for 10 minutes. Remove them from the water, then dunk them into new water to soak again. Repeat 2-3 times.Note: This is done to remove any impurities or bugs.
Drain the greens in a colander.
While the leaves are drying, mix the sugar into 1 US cup water until the sugar has completely dissolved.
Put all the water and pennywort into a blender and blitz until everything has blended. If your blender is not big enough, divide it into smaller batches.Note: Do not add the sugar syrup at this stage yet.
Pour the contents through a sieve into a large bowl. Use a spatula or flat utensil to press the juice out of the pulp.
Use a spoon to skim away the foam.
Add the sugar water in while gently stirring to combine.Tip: Pour the sugar syrup in a little at a time and taste as you go until you find the right balance.
Serve as is, with ice or refrigerate for later!
- Taste as you go. To get the flavor that you prefer the most, taste as you mix the ingredients.
- Use fresh pennywort. This goes without saying, but make it on the day you buy the plant to ensure the drink is as fresh as it can be.
- Dissolve the sugar as best you can. You'll have a much smoother drink without the graininess.
- The amount of sugar and water that you use for your Pennywort Drink can be adjusted to preference. If you prefer it greener, use less water and less sugar. If you want it sweeter, add more sugar or use less water.
- We get our pennywort from the local Asian supermarket, but if you can't find it, ask the staff. Dad had to because they had deliberately stored it in the back!
Calories: 32kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 2g | Sodium: 13mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 8mg