Steamed Oysters with Ginger and Shallots
Make restaurant-quality Steamed Oysters with Ginger and Shallots in just easy 5 steps. These appetizers are topped with fresh aromatics, dressed in a light sweet soy sauce and perfect for weeknight dinners or celebrations!
- 12 oysters (we got them shucked at the seafood market)
- 25 g / 0.06 lb ginger (thinly sliced)
- 2 sprig scallion / spring onion (thinly sliced and soaking in cold water)
- 5 tbsp light soy sauce (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp sugar (or to taste)
- 5 tbsp water
- 6 tbsp cooking oil
Have the oysters shucked at the seafood market when you buy them, then give each shellfish a quick rinse in cool water to remove any shell shards.
Set up your steamer while you garnish the oysters with the ginger. Steam on high heat with the lid on for 7 minutes or until just cooked.
Meanwhile, combine the light soy sauce, sugar and water in a saucepan over high heat until the sugar has melted.
Plate the steamed oysters, pour 1-2 tbsp of the sauce over them and garnish with scallions. Heat up the oil until smoking and pour 1/2 tbsp over the scallions on each oyster.
Enjoy hot as is!
- Eat the steamed oysters as soon as you cook them. If you can't eat them straight away, wait until you can to steam them.
- Cook on a high heat the entire time. Avoid lifting the lid and keep the shellfish sealed in the steam to cook all the way through.
- Make sure the oil is smoking hot. This will partially cook the scallions, giving them a fragrant aroma.
- Taste the sauce before you add it. The sauce can be easily adjusted to preference, so make sure to taste it just before you pour it over the shellfish.
- After thinly slicing the ginger and spring onions, keep them in cool water. This is done for two reasons: (1) The spring onions will curl and look fancier as a garnish and (2) the ginger's bite will be diluted in the water. If you prefer the ginger to have a spicier kick, skip soaking it in water.
Calories: 73kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 421mg | Potassium: 30mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 20IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 1mg