Fish Floss is the topping that your rice bowl NEEDS! Using just 5 ingredients, the fish can be switched with chicken, pork or turkey!
- 2 kg / 4.4 lb barramundi (or any that you prefer)
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon powder
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 US cup water
Start by removing any bones.
Skin the pieces by wedging the blade between the meat and the skin, then pulling the knife away from you while pulling the skin toward you.
Cut the fillets into large chunks. This will help to cook the meat faster.
Bring the water to a boil and add the fish in.
Use a utensil like a wooden spatula to separate the flesh into tiny pieces.
Meanwhile, add the light soy sauce, oyster sauce and chicken bouillon powder and keep the heat on medium.
Keep stirring and breaking the pieces until the liquid has dried out. This should take about 15 minutes. When there is no more water left, turn the heat to low and add the oil.
Stir on low heat until the Fish Floss has dried to preference and turned golden. It will take approximately 20-30 minutes depending on how you like it.
Serve over rice or your favorite dishes!
- Cook it low and slow. Keep stirring over low heat as it cooks because it can easily burn if left unattended. Cooking it on heat that's too high will also draw out too much moisture and make it dry.
- Add aromatics. Grandma keeps her recipe simple, but if you'd like to take it up a notch you can add fried garlic, onions or lemongrass.
- Process it in a blender. For a finer texture, you can blitz everything in a food processor or blender.
- It's important to choose a fish that has a fair amount of meat to it. We prefer the ones with fewer bones so we don't have to remove so many. Groper, sea bass, catfish, barramundi, cod or basa are great options.
Calories: 439kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 81g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 200mg | Sodium: 678mg | Potassium: 1221mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 2mg