Ching Bo Leung (清補涼)
Ching Bo Leung comes with its signature moreish ingredients that's perfect after any meal. End each night with this easy light dessert!
- 120 g / 0.26 lb seaweed
- 130 g / 0.27 lb dried longan
- 80 g / 0.18 lb dried red dates
- 90 g / 0.2 lb pearl barley
- 100 g / 0.22 lb dried lotus seed
- 120 g / 0.26 lb rock sugar (or to taste)
- 2.5 L / 10.6 US cup water
Bring the water to a boil. In the meantime, rinse all the ingredients in cool water.
Once the water has boiled, pour in the red dates, pearl barley, lotus seeds and longan. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
After the 5 minutes, add the seaweed and rock sugar in and cook over a medium heat for another 5 minutes or until the ingredients have reached your preferred texture.
Serve hot as is or pour it into a container to cool in the fridge and enjoy it cold!
- Thoroughly wash the seaweed. This will minimize the smell and taste of the sea.
- Remove the seeds from the red dates. If you buy jujubes with the seeds still in them, cut each in half and remove the seed first. Alternatively, buy the pitted ones.
- Use fresher dried ingredients. Buy them in smaller quantities. The longer they're left untouched, the less fresh they are. For instance, dried longan can turn very dark if left for too long.
- You can get all the ingredients from Asian supermarkets or Chinese medicinal shops.
- Some shops also sell packs with all the ingredients in small quantities for convenience. With these, there could also be additional dried herbs which you can add the extra ingredients to the drink as well.
- We use thick seaweed with a long rectangular shape. It comes frozen or dried and you can buy it in packets from Asian supermarkets.
- If you're using frozen seaweed, defrost what you plan to use, give it a quick rinse in cold water and let it drip dry in a colander until use. Any leftovers can be sealed and stored back in the freezer.
- For the dehydrated seaweed, soak in cool water for 20 minutes or until completely rehydrated. Then just like the frozen ones, rinse and drip dry.
Calories: 118kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 42mg | Potassium: 260mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 22IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg