Sichuan Garlic Chili Oil
Once your try this homemade Sichuan Garlic Chili Oil, you won't go back to the store-bought ones. It adds incredible flavour to every meal and is ready in under 10 minutes!
- 10 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 US cup chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 US cup oil (with a high smoking point)
Mix up your ingredients in a heatproof bowl. You will be pouring hot oil into it, so it MUST be able to withstand the heat.
Add the Sichuan peppercorns into the cold oil and bring it to smoking point. The time required will depend on your oil and your stove, but a general rule of thumb is when you can see it just start to show smoke or if it bubbles when a wooden chopstick in placed in the oil, it's ready.
Pour the hot oil into the mixture of spices. Be careful because it will bubble and spit!
Stir gently and let it cool before enjoying.
- Adjust the measurements to your preference for a hotter, milder or more mouth-numbing experience!
- Mix in your favourite dry ingredients: whole or crushed peanuts, toasted sesame seeds, toasted star anise, toasted Chinese cinnamon bark or toasted dried bay leaves.
- Add fresh aromatics: ginger or spring onions.
- To let every ingredient really shine, wait for a few hours so the flavours intensify.
Calories: 14kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 253mg | Potassium: 35mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 363IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg