Sichuan Garlic Chili Oil
Once your try this homemade Sichuan Garlic Chili Oil, you won't go back to the store-bought ones. It adds incredible flavor to every meal and is ready in under 10 minutes!
- 10 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 US cup chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 US cup oil (with a high smoking point)
Mix up the chili flakes, chili powder, chopped garlic and salt in a heatproof bowl. You will be pouring hot oil into it, so it MUST be able to withstand the heat without breaking.
Pour the cold oil into a small pot, then add the Sichuan peppercorns in and bring it to smoking point. Note: The time required will depend on your oil and your stove, but a general rule of thumb is when you can see it just start to show smoke or if it bubbles when a wooden chopstick is placed in the oil, it's ready.
Pour the hot oil into the mixture of spices. Be careful because it will bubble and spit!
Stir gently and let it cool before enjoying immediately as is!
- Let it rest for a few hours before serving. That way, the aromatics have a chance to infuse deeply into the oil for more flavor.
- Use good-quality Sichuan products. Fresh Sichuan chili flakes and powder will complement the aromatics in this oil well.
- Add more aromatics. The more you put in, the more fragrant it will become.
- Add fresh aromatics: ginger or spring onions.
- Mix in your favorite dry ingredients: whole or crushed peanuts, toasted sesame seeds, toasted star anise, toasted Chinese cinnamon bark or toasted dried bay leaves.
Calories: 14kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 253mg | Potassium: 35mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 363IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg