Vietnamese Sticky Rice (Xôi Mặn)
This Vietnamese Sticky Rice recipe is pure comfort food. Topped with Chinese sausages, egg strips, pork floss and scallion oil, it's so delicious that you'll want to pack it in lunchboxes AND serve it at parties!
For The Sticky Rice
- 2 US cups glutinous rice
- hot water (for soaking)
For The Toppings To Be Cooked
- 500 g / 1 lb boneless chicken (I used thigh for a juicier cut)
- water (for boiling)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- cooking oil
- Chinese sausages, thinly sliced
- pork floss (we get it from the local Asian grocery)
- Vietnamese ham (chả lụa), sliced into strips
- quail eggs (we buy them at the local Asian grocery then boil them at home)
- dried shrimps, rehydrated
- fried onions
- fried garlic
- roasted peanuts
- red shallots, finely sliced
Seasoning For Toppings
- 2 tsp sugar, or to taste
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
For The Spring Onion Oil
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp cooking oil with a high smoking point
- 1/4 tsp salt
Cooking The Sticky Rice
Wash, rinse then soak the rice in hot water for 1 hour.
Drain the water from the rice and let it drip dry in a colander as you set up the steamer.
Steam the rice on high heat for 1 hour. Check on it every 20 minutes and sprinkle drops of water on top if you find it gets too dry. Tip: Line the bottom of the rice with a thin cloth to stop the grains from clumping or a banana leaf for extra flavour.
Preparing The Toppings
Lightly grease the pan with some oil and pour a thin layer of egg mix in to cook on a low heat. When cooked, fold each side into the centre to make three parts. This will help with slicing the omelette into thin strips.
Boil or pan fry the chicken until cooked then drain and shred it.
Add the oil to a pan on a medium heat and fry the red shallots, rehydrated shrimps, Chinese sausages, shredded chicken and Vietnamese ham for 1 minute.
Pour in the sugar, chicken bouillon powder and soy sauce to season the toppings then stir for 2 minutes.
Making The Spring Onion Oil
Assembling The Sticky Rice