Vietnamese Beef Salad
Grandma's Vietnamese Beef Salad is generously topped with succulent beef. Prep in advance and have it on the table in just 5 easy steps!
- 3 bundles watercress (or your favorite green leafy vegetable)
- 3 tomatoes
- 600 g / 1.3 lb lean beef
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce (or to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp chicken bouillon powder
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 red shallots (finely sliced)
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Vietnamese Dipping Sauce (as a dressing)
Thinly slice the beef into 3mm (0.1") thick slices, the marinate them with oyster sauce and chicken bouillon powder for a minimum of 20 minutes.
Wash the watercress in cold salted water at least twice. Drain, then let it drip dry in a colander.
Brown the garlic and red shallots with oil on a medium heat.
Turn the heat to high and add the beef for 5 minutes or until cooked.
Assemble the salad with sliced tomatoes, watercress, cooked meat and your favorite dressing!
- Marinate the beef overnight. This will ensure the seasoning is infused deeply into the meat, meaning extra flavor inside and out!
- Use younger watercress. If you try to squeeze the watercress stem, the younger ones will be more tender rather than tough, which is ideal for this salad.
- Use firmer tomatoes. Not only will they be easier to slice, they will also hold up much better when tossing the salad with dressing.
- Cook the meat just before serving. The heat will soften the watercress, so the dish will be at its freshest when the beef is straight out of the wok.
- We use a lean cut for our salad, but you can choose whichever your favorite is. Great alternatives include the tender cuts such as sirloin, tenderloin, ribeye or flank.
- Take advantage of the seasonal produce available in your local market! Some options with a similar spicy flavor to watercress include rocket, arugula, kale, spinach and radish sprouts
Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 415mg | Potassium: 512mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 528IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 3mg