Gà Xào Sả Ớt (Spicy Lemongrass Chicken)
Gà Xào Sả Ớt is an easy Spicy Lemongrass Chicken that's perfect for a midweek dinner. It's an incredible emergency meal with exceptional flavor!
- 1 kg / 2.2 lb chicken wings (or any cut/protein of your choice)
- 1 tsp tumeric power
- 6 stalks lemongrass (or as many as you prefer)
- 1 tbsp salt (or to taste)
- 3/4 tbsp sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon powder
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 red shallot (finely chopped)
- 1/2 US cup oil
- 3 chilis (optional)
Cut the lemongrass into 1cm (0.4") segments and use a food processor to blitz everything until fine. Alternatively, use a knife to finely chop them.
Set aside 1/2 US cup of lemongrass then marinate the wings in tumeric powder, salt, sugar, chicken bouillon powder, fish sauce, garlic, red shallot and the remaining lemongrass for a minimum of 20 minutes.
Add oil to a heated wok on medium heat and brown the lemongrass and chili for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Turn the heat up to high and pour the marinated wings in to fry for 15 minutes or until cooked. Lower the heat to low-medium and let it simmer with the lid partially on for another 15 minutes or until tender.Tip: Stir the contents every 5 minutes so all the sides are evenly cooked.
Serve immediately as is with a bowl of hot rice or noodles!
- Marinate the chicken overnight. This is a tried-and-true technique for the seasoning to seep right through to the center of the meat.
- Use fresh aromatics. Frozen lemongrass is fairly easy to come by if you shop at Asian groceries, but nothing beats freshly chopped aromatics!
- Opt for fattier cuts. Cooking with fattier pieces means the heat will render the fat into juices, which keeps your chicken moist and flavorful.
- We used wings for this recipe, but you can substitute it for any other cut or any other protein including beef, pork or tofu.
Calories: 770kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 62g | Fat: 53g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 257mg | Sodium: 1842mg | Potassium: 658mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 489IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 5mg