Snow Fungus Dessert Soup (雪耳糖水)
Try this Chinese Snow Fungus Soup to nourish your body with a refreshing dessert. It's SO easy, it becomes a 30 minute set and forget recipe!
- 3 L / 13 US cups water (plus more for soaking)
- 100 g / 0.22 lb snow fungus (or to preference)
- 30 g / 0.06 lb dried longan
- 30 g / 0.06 lb lotus seeds
- 25 g / 0.05 lb pearl barley
- 20 g / 0.04 lb goji berries
- 12 red dates (pitted)
- 200 g / 0.44 lb rock sugar (or to taste)
Soak the fungus in hot water for 10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly to remove any dirt. Let it drip dry in a colander.
At the same time, soak the lotus seeds and pearl barley in hot water for 10 minutes.
Use scissors to cut the parts around the hard dark orange center.
Cut the pieces into smaller chunks roughly 10cm (4") long or to the size of your preference.
Bring the water to a boil in a pot and throw in the lotus seeds and pearl barley. Let it simmer for 2 minutes.
Add the fungus in and simmer for 5 minutes.
Rinse the dried red dates and longan and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the rock sugar in and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the goji berries in, simmer for 5 minutes and serve immediately as is!Note: If you prefer Snow Fungus Soup with a softer texture, let it cook for longer until it has reached your desired consistency.
- Simmer it for longer. The longer it slow cooks, the more time the dessert has to soften and thicken. You'll end up with a silky and melt-in-mouth experience!
- Add the goji berries in last. Goji berries can develop a sour taste when left to cook for too long, so adding them in towards the end will be just enough time for them to open.
- Use other natural sweeteners as well. Fruits and herbal ingredients like pears, apples, black dates, or gingko nuts are a great way to add more flavor and nutrition.
- You can get all the dried ingredients from Chinese supermarkets in the dried goods section or from a Chinese herbal medicine shop.
- The dried red dates can be purchased pitted or with the seed, but both will taste the same. We used the pitted ones for convenience.
Calories: 180kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 139mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg